Understanding Ceiling Water Damage
What is ceiling water damage and what causes this problem? Glad you asked …
Damage to your ceiling can manifest in many different ways when water enters your home. Some of the more common indicators include:
- Stains and discoloration on the ceiling – One of the most common signs of ceiling water damage is discoloration. If you see dark spots or yellowish “maps” on your ceiling, you may have a leak. As opposed to a gaping hole in your roof, a crack or a leak slowly drips water into your home and onto your ceiling, causing these stains to appear.
- Cracking and peeling paint or wallpaper – If you notice wallpaper near your ceiling starting to peel or cracked paint on your walls, you may have a leaky roof causing water damage. The adhesive that holds wallpaper to your walls can be affected by water and will cause the paper to pull away. Paint, on the other hand, may bubble due to the presence of water and may peel or crack.
- Strong musty or foul odor from the ceiling – If you smell odors from your ceiling, you might have a leak causing ceiling water damage. And odors that come with black, yellow, or green spots probably indicate mold growth in your ceiling.
Common Causes of Ceiling Water Damage
When you discover that you have ceiling water damage, it’s important to find the source in order to stop it. Here are some of the more common causes:
- Leaking pipes running through your ceiling– If you have plumbing pipes in your ceiling, which is common in two-story homes, the damage may be caused by a leaking pipe.
- Excess moisture – If your home is damp, or if there is excess moisture in the room from faucets, humidifiers, and water features, ceiling water damage can occur.
- Improper insulation – If you live in an area with high humidity and your home is not properly insulated, moisture can cause ceiling water damage.
When you notice this happening in your home, you need to address the problem immediately. In the Greater Indianapolis area, the company to contact for help is Midwest Remediation. We specialize in all types of water damage restoration, and that includes ceiling water damage. We also handle some of the issues associated with this problem such as mold and mildew growth and broken or leaking pipes. Don’t hesitate to call us for help by contacting us at (317) 826-0940.